Search This Blog

Friday, July 24, 2026

Case File #005 The Machine That Wouldn't Die

 People ask me if computers can think.

I tell them no.

Then they tell me stories that make me question my own answer.


It was nearly closing time when an older gentleman walked into the shop carrying a desktop tower that looked as though it had survived three presidencies and at least one lightning strike.

He gently set it on my workbench.

"I think it's trying to tell me something."

Now, I've heard a lot over the years.

"My printer hates me."

"My Wi-Fi only breaks when my wife gets home."

"My grandson downloaded a virus from doing homework."

But this one was new.

"Tell me what it's doing."

He folded his arms.

"I've thrown it away three times."

I blinked.

"...Three?"

"Three."

"And yet..."

"It keeps turning back on."

I stared at him for a moment.

"You brought me... a haunted trash computer?"

He nodded with complete sincerity.

"I figured you'd believe me."


He explained.

The computer had become painfully slow.

He replaced it with a new one.

The old machine was unplugged and placed in the garage.

A week later, he walked into the garage to grab a rake.

The computer was on.

Power light glowing.

Fans spinning.

No monitor attached.

He unplugged it.

A month later, while cleaning the garage...

It was running again.

Finally convinced something wasn't right, he carried it to the curb on trash day.

The garbage truck came.

The computer disappeared.

Two days later, his son rescued it from the electronics pile, thinking Dad had made a mistake.

Back into the garage it went.

A week later...

Running again.

"I've had enough," the man said.

"I want to know why."


I plugged it into my bench.

It booted.

Slowly.

Very slowly.

Windows hadn't been updated in years.

The hard drive sounded like an old ceiling fan.

Nothing supernatural yet.

Then I shut it down.

The fans stopped.

Power light off.

Case closed?

Not quite.

Thirty seconds later...

Click.

The power supply came alive.

The fans spun.

The machine started all by itself.

Now I understood why he'd been unsettled.

I smiled.

"Interesting."


I opened the BIOS.

One setting caught my eye.

Restore AC Power Loss: Power On.

Harmless enough.

Until I asked another question.

"Is this garage on the same circuit as your freezer?"

He frowned.

"Yes..."

"And does that freezer kick on every few minutes?"

His eyes widened.

"It does."

"There it is."

His old garage wiring was causing tiny momentary power interruptions.

Not enough to notice.

Not enough to reset the clocks.

But just enough for the aging power supply to think electricity had been restored.

Every little voltage dip looked like a power outage.

And every time power "returned"...

The BIOS obediently turned the computer back on.

Not a ghost.

Just an overly helpful setting.


I changed one option.

Restore AC Power Loss: Stay Off.

We waited.

The freezer compressor kicked in.

The lights dimmed ever so slightly.

The computer remained silent.

The customer leaned back in his chair.

"So..."

"It isn't cursed?"

"No."

"It just refuses to quit."

I smiled.

"Honestly..."

"...I kind of respect that."


After he left, I stood alone in the workshop looking at the old tower.

It had spent nearly twenty years doing exactly what someone had configured it to do.

Faithfully.

Relentlessly.

Without complaint.

There was something admirable about that.

Most machines don't ask for recognition.

Just electricity.

I reached over...

Pressed the power button one last time...

And listened as the old hard drive slowly spun to life.

"Good work," I said quietly.

"You've earned your retirement."


As I switched off the bench light, I caught something in the corner of my eye.

The rubber duck.

Still on the shelf.





Still watching.

For just a moment, the reflection from the workbench lamp made it look as though he gave a solemn little nod.

Or maybe...

...I was just tired.

Case Closed

Workshop Lesson: Many computers include a BIOS setting called Restore on AC Power Loss (sometimes called After Power Failure or AC Back). If enabled, a computer can automatically power on after even a brief interruption in electricity. It's a useful feature for servers—but in a garage, workshop, or home, it can make a perfectly healthy computer seem positively haunted.

No comments:

Post a Comment