People think I fix computers.
Truth is, computers are usually innocent.
It's the stories people tell about them that get interesting.
It was just after nine when the shop door chimed.
A woman hurried in carrying a well-loved laptop pressed tightly against her chest.
"You've got to help me," she said. "My computer is haunted."
I set my coffee down.
"Haunted?"
She nodded with absolute conviction.
"It turns itself on in the middle of the night."
I glanced toward the rubber duck sitting on the shelf above my workbench.
The duck offered no opinion.
Smart duck.
"Tell me everything."
"It wakes up around three every morning. The screen lights up. The fans start spinning. Sometimes it even makes the Windows login sound."
"And nobody touches it?"
"No."
"Pets?"
"No."
"Kids?"
"They're asleep."
I opened the laptop and began looking it over.
No physical damage.
Battery healthy.
No signs of liquid exposure.
Nothing unusual.
I pressed the power button.
It booted perfectly.
Ghosts, in my experience, preferred computers that were already broken.
An hour later, every hardware test came back clean.
Memory.
Storage.
Thermals.
Everything checked out.
Then I asked a question that made my customer stop and think.
"Does it happen at exactly the same time?"
"I... think so."
"What time?"
"About three."
Exactly.
Ghosts aren't punctual.
Software is.
I opened the Windows Event Viewer.
There it was.
Every morning.
3:00 AM.
The laptop woke from sleep.
No power button press.
No crash.
No error.
Just...
"Wake Source: Timer."
Now we had our first real suspect.
I dug deeper.
Windows Update.
Scheduled Maintenance.
Automatic backups.
Nothing.
Then, buried beneath a list of scheduled tasks, I found something interesting.
A backup application installed years ago.
Long forgotten.
Still faithfully waking the computer every morning at 3:00 AM to search for an external hard drive that hadn't been plugged in for over two years.
Every night it woke up.
Looked around.
Found nothing.
Went back to sleep.
Like a security guard checking an empty building.
I smiled.
"I found your ghost."
"You did?"
"It works third shift."
Five minutes later the task was disabled.
Problem solved.
The customer laughed so hard she nearly cried.
"I was ready to call a priest."
"I charge less."
She smiled, packed up her laptop, and headed for the door.
Halfway out, she stopped.
"So..."
"It wasn't haunted?"
"No."
"It was..."
I shrugged.
"Just a computer doing exactly what someone told it to do... long after everyone forgot."
After she left, I finished my now-cold coffee and updated the repair log.
Case: Laptop wakes itself every night.
Cause: Forgotten scheduled backup task.
Resolution: Disabled unnecessary wake timer.
I closed the notebook.
Outside, thunder rolled across the Georgia sky.
Inside, every computer in the shop remained perfectly silent.
Well...
Almost.
One desktop on the far shelf suddenly powered itself on.
Its fans spun to life.
The monitor flickered.
I looked across the room.
The rubber duck was still perched on the shelf.
Watching.
I walked over to the machine.
Its display read:
Installing Updates... Do not turn off your computer.
I laughed to myself.
"Nice try."
Some mysteries are supernatural.
Most are just Windows.
Case Closed
Workshop Lesson: If your computer wakes up by itself, check Windows Event Viewer for the wake source. Scheduled tasks, Windows Update, backup software, network devices, and wake timers are far more common culprits than failing hardware. Understanding why a computer woke up is the first step to stopping it.
No comments:
Post a Comment